Thursday, October 22, 2009

College Football Quick Picks: Week 8



My season record currently stands at 25-20 after a 4-1 mark last week. It's an off-week for the Hokies so I've got a lot of football watching on my hands, starting with a Corning East-West game tomorrow night if I'm to believe Alan Brown.

There are quite a few match ups I'm interested in watching this weekend, including Notre Dame-Boston College which I'm sure we'll be hearing about from Brian. Of course I've already picked that game in our head-to-head match up.


Florida State @ North Carolina

The Thursday night game gives us ACC teams both in desperate need of a conference win. the Seminoles are 0-3 in ACC play and just 2-4 overall while Carolina is 0-2 in conference but a reasonable 4-2 overall. I've got a weird feeling about this one. Most people would go with Carolina at home, but I'm thinking FSU because Christian Ponder has put together a marvelous season. Ponder has 1781 yards and 9 touchdowns against just 1 interception.


Florida State Wins


No. 12 Georgia Tech @ Virginia


Georgia Tech goes for an ACC sweep of the Commonwealth. The Wahoos have rebounded from their 0-3 open to the season and actually lead the ACC Coastal division with a 2-0 record. Georgia Tech doesn't want any screw-ups following the upset over the Hokies last weekend. The folks in Blacksburg of course desperately need a loss by the Ramblin' Wreck. Will it happen?

Virginia Wins


South Florida @ No. 20 Pittsburgh


B.J. Daniels has been a solid fill-in for the injured Matt Grothe at USF, but Pitt has been solid all season long.

Pittsburgh Wins



No. 13 Penn State @ Michigan

Call me a naysayer but I still think Penn State is overrated. As long as Tate Forcier is healthy I think the Wolverines have a shot at home.

Michigan Wins


Wake Forest @ Navy

A rematch of last year's regular season and bowl game for these teams, this is an interesting game. Riley Skinner is playing well for Wake, but Ricky Dobbs runs Navy's offense very efficiently. I like both of my teams so this is a tough call.

Navy Wins

No. 8 TCU @ No. 16 BYU

I haven't heard much about this monumental clash of the mid-majors. BYU got schooled at home in their only loss to a bad Florida State team. TCU is playing strong.

TCU Wins

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails