Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Song For A Son


In perhaps one of the most daring business models ever revealed by any musician, Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan announced he would release all 44 songs of the Pumpkins' new concept album Teargarden by Kaleidyscope for free, available for download one song at a time on their website.

Here is what Corgan had to say about his radical concept:
[I] don't think I'm going to make albums in the old-fashioned way, meaning 12-15 songs, etc. in one small package. My desire at this point would be to release one song at a time, over a period of 2-3 years, with it all adding up to a box set/album of sorts that would also include an art movie of the album... My thinking is that if I focus on one song at a time I would approach them as beautiful, distinct paintings that would each require the attention they deserve. This would also mean I would choose what I am recording quite carefully as there would be tremendous internal pressure to get it just right, and that is the kind of pressure I like, which is to make the most beautiful thing possible. I've gotten lost many times during the long haul of making a record and have overlooked some great songs because of that. The new standard for an SP song would that it be excellent and fantastic and most importantly essential or it's not coming out. I will do my best to meet that intention fully.
Based on those comments it his clear that this album is being made for the sheer enjoyment of writing music, not for the immediate monetary benefit so many artists seek and often 'sell-out' for.

Best of luck to Corgan and the Smashing Pumpkins on this truly unique endeavor.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails