Thursday, July 31, 2008

Song Of The Day - July 31, 2008

It's been a few days since our last post - sorry about that. We've been caught up in a few things but now we're back in business with a brand spankin' new song of the day. 

Today's featured song, EMT, is from probably one of Chicago's best kept secrets: Shock Stars. I first discovered this amazing group while I was at a Lucky Boys Confusion concert (another awesome Chicago band). LBC put on a pretty sweet show at Legend's on the campus of the University of Notre Dame this past spring. One of my buddies actually drove in for the weekend just to see LBC perform and they certainly did not disappoint him nor anyone else in attendance. 

After the show I saw the lead singer, Stubhy, walking to the backstage area (a round of beers in hand) so I shared with him how great of a performance LBC put on. A combination of things led to the events that transpired: the music was still ringing in my ears, I was fairly imbibed, and there was a ton of background noise so I thought I heard him say "thanks" and "go tell the guy at the merchandise table to put five shots on me...tell him Stubhy said it's ok." I approached the guy at the merchandise table and shared with him what I thought I had heard. 

He looked a little confused and left to go confirm my supposed encounter with Stubhy. When he returned he told me that Stubhy had said "put five Shock Stars cds on me." The Shock Stars are a side project of Stubhy's with five other musicians.

Either way you slice it Stubhy is a generous man. I was a little disappointed at first but free merchandise is definitely an adequate consolation prize. I took the cds and distributed them to the group of friends I was with.

In the long run, the cds were much more beneficial to me than a few extra drinks. Feel For A Heartbeat, the first Shock Stars album, earned itself a permanent location in my music rotation in my car and on my playlists. The band utilizes a unique combination of rock and techno that is sure to one day earn them fame. For now, they're a relatively unknown group with at least one huge fan eager to promote and attract new fans for them. 



Note: The shots of the band are from a concert they gave on Halloween, hence the costumes. Check out a nice review of Shock Stars here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i was the buddy who drove down from chicago. wooo hooo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails