Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Song Of The Day - August 12, 2008

Today's melodic selection is inspired by the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. One of the many things I enjoy about the Olympics is all of the advertising, because where else would all of that money come from to put on a spectacle to showcase to the world? While most of the advertisements I've witnessed have been exceptional (the Coca-Cola ads come to mind) there are a few that have either made me scratch my head or throw the remote through my TV. One commercial of particular disgust is from the retail giant Target. One of their new back-to-school ads features music by boy band sensation the Jonas Brothers. I have never really listened to their music but I know that I will avoid it at all costs after listening to their abomination of Hello Goodbye, originally performed by The Beatles.



Punk rock and Beatles music do not mix, or at least if they do this version certainly couldn't grasp that concept. The harmonization in the beginning sounds more like whining as opposed to actual singing and I can't even think of words to describe how bad the bridge (the part in the middle) is. John Lennon, who didn't even like the song that much according to music journalist Steve Turner, just rolled over in his grave. 

I understand that bands will cover songs from other bands, and I even like a lot of covers. The issue that I have is when a song is covered simply because it was once popular and might create an avenue for success for the artist covering it. I can't speak intelligently about the motives of the Jonas Brothers since I have never met them (let alone listen to their music) but I am confident that they were presented with this idea and envisioned dollar signs and girls coming their way. 

I'm not sure if Target or their advertising agency is to blame but I know that I am disappointed they allowed the Jonas Brothers to ruin what was once a really, really good song. Sadly, it isn't the first time they have allowed someone to ruin this song. 

"Hello Goodbuy" is a punny campaign slogan that Target has been running for quite some time now. During the time span in which they have utilized this slogan several different artists have been featured covering the classic Beatles tune.

Some have been good:



Others have not:



The song in the first commercial shown above is hip and upbeat while not straying too far from the original song. The second is just weird. In addition to a terrible end to the song, creepy synthesizers and strange instrumentation combine to make a mockery of this Beatles classic.

Ok, I'm done ruining it for you; end of rant. Listen to The Beatles' version and cheer up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails